Program Eligibility Requirements
- Program must be either charitable or have an academic affiliation (AdvaMed requirement)
- Program must have participated in the 2018 AOFAS-sponsored Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Fellowship Match for the 2019-20 academic year AND have at least one fellow arranged for that fellowship year
- Program Director, as well as any Co-Director, must be a current AOFAS Active Member in good standing
- Fellowship Director must be board-certified in orthopaedics (ABOS, AOBOS, or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada), and all other fellowship program faculty must be board-certified or board eligible
Requirements for Programs Awarded a Grant
- Program must pay AOFAS membership dues for their fellows
- Program must pay for their fellows to attend the AOFAS 2019 Annual Meeting or 2020 AOFAS Specialty Day
- Fellow(s) must submit a manuscript to FAI/FAO during the fellowship year or submit an abstract to the 2020 Annual Meeting or show some level of scholarly activity.
- Program must submit total case numbers per fellow for the academic year of the grant (case logs not required; totals only)
Maximum grant amounts will be determined by dividing the total grant dollars ($460,000) by the number of programs selected to receive funding and dividing that figure again by the total number of filled fellowship positions at those programs for the 2019-2020
academic year. The intent is for each selected program to receive an equal per-fellow amount, but the exact amount is dependent upon, and subject to, Fellowship Grants Review Committee recommendations and ultimate approval by the AOFAS Board of Directors.
Eligible and ineligible expenses for the fellow(s) are specified below. Funds unused by the close of the fellowship year shall be returned to the Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Foundation.
- direct educational expenses for AOFAS meetings/courses, including:
- meeting/course registration fees
- housing accommodations
- meals (within reason)
- AOFAS membership dues
- research activity
- manuscript/abstract submission fees for AOFAS meetings/publications
- license registration and/or renewal
- malpractice insurance coverage
- capital equipment expenditures
- overhead (including indirect costs from shared services)
- endowment funding
- other expenses not deemed to directly benefit fellow education upon review by the Committee
The Fellowship Grants Review Committee
The Fellowship Grants Review Committee (the “Review Committee”) will include only current AOFAS members in good standing at the Active, Candidate or Emeritus levels. It will be comprised of six-ten (6-10) members and a Chair. The Chair of
the Fellowship Match Committee, having no affiliation with a fellowship program, will chair the Review Committee.
All members of the Fellowship Match Committee will serve as members of the Review Committee, with the balance of members being appointed by the Chair on an ad hoc basis. Committee size at any one time will be determined by the perceived work load. Review
Committee members participating in or affiliated with a fellowship program applying for grant money will recuse themselves from any involvement whatsoever in the review, consideration, or selection of that program as a grant recipient.
Application Review Process
Subject to the restrictions specified above, three members of the Fellowship Grants Review Committee, will review each submission prior to a meeting of all qualifying Review Committee members to discuss the eligibility of each program and the quality
of the grant application. Qualifying members of the Review Committee will, by consensus, determine the final grant recipients and will report those, along with the recommended grant amount for each, to the AOFAS Board of Directors no later than July
Post Hoc Review Process/Reporting Requirements
Within 30 days of the end of the fellowship year, each program will complete a final report, which shall include the following items:
1. a brief narrative of activities supported by the Grant, including but not limited to the following:
- educational program participation funded – meeting name(s)
- podium/poster presentations
- publications – include article PDF or citation
- accepted abstracts
- submitted scientific or educational works
2. financial accounting of all grant money expenditures
3. number of cases performed by each fellow
Contact Christine Johnson, AOFAS Education Manager, at email@example.com.